Tuesday, March 15, 2011

How does your garden grow?


Oh, you don't have green thumbs? Well, neither do I. But, I promise you that a rosemary plant is quite hardy. It takes a lot to kill a rosemary plant. Mine even survived the snow week in February that we had in Dallas. ( I forgot to cover it or bring it inside.) Now, with other herbs I have not always had as much luck. This weekend I decided to buy a basil and an oregano plant. My rosemary is in a pot and my basil and oregano will also have to live out their plant lives in pots. I have a lovely large patio but no yard because we are in an apartment. Therefore, my friends, no excuses. Yard or no yard, you too can have an herb garden.

Here is a great website that explains how to grow rosemary, oregano, and basil.
http://gardening.about.com/od/plantprofil2/p/Oregano.htm
http://gardening.about.com/od/herbsspecificplants1/p/Basil.htm
http://gardening.about.com/od/vegetablepatch/a/Rosemary.htm

In about.com's gardening information I found a few interesting tips. "You’ll want to prevent your basil from blooming for as long as possible, by harvesting or pinching off the top sets of leaves as soon as the plant reaches about 6" in height. If the plant sets flowers, it is on its way to going to seed and will not be bushing out with leaves. Once a basil plant goes to seed, the existing leaves lessen in flavor."

It said that the oregano is a Mediterranean plant as well as the rosemary. So, both don't mind being slightly dry. It also went on to tell that "more rosemary plants suffer from too much attention than from too little." No wonder my rosemary plant has done so well. I ignore it and it thrives!

Fresh herbs can take your cooking to another level. If you are buying fresh herbs, you are spending to much money. Grow your own.
Happy Gardening!

1 comment:

  1. I have always wanted to know how to grow herbs! Great information about growning basil! My favorite thing to cook in the summer is a basil pesto pasta....freshly picked from MY garden! Good blogging Ashley!!

    -Lauren B.

    ReplyDelete